In Divine Mind, I am already filled full! In my mind I see mere shadows, slight glimpses of true fullness. I remember how much I do not Know! I am determined to fulfill my purpose, to know my Self as Divine Love, and to share the fullness I am.
Caveat Lector! Let the reader beware! Today’s sharing is SO long I’ve divided it into two parts. The first part gives context to the second part, but they can be read independently of each other. Read what suits you, skip the rest, either way– enjoy!
I am not a story-teller. I am not a novelist. I do not write narratives, piecing together characters, scenarios, and dialogue. In fact, it feels overwhelming if I were to think about doing that (though, between you and me, I’d like to give it a try sometime).
I wonder: Do novelists know what they are going to write, how it is all going to turn out before they start? Do they have their story line? Do they know how the characters will develop?
I have heard that some novelists create the story as they write it, that, in a sense, the characters and scenes become alive and speak to the novelist. They write the story through the author. The author sits at the page and opens him/herself up to the act of creation and allows the story to come through.
I am not a story-teller, but I am a creator/creative, in my own way—a very left-brained creator! In a sense, I allow these Journeys to be an act of creation, telling the story of the movement of consciousness.
I allow whatever my consciousness is at that moment, the moment of writing, to come out and express itself. This, to me, is the transparency of process. (I have just coined a new term…an act of creation in the moment!)
Too many people don’t like to show the process. The process is messy. It’s erratic. It’s chaotic and confusing, and there is doubt, uncertainty, vulnerability and WTF’s…I’ve had a few of those this Journey.
Too many people want to show the polished side of being spiritual, of being human. They like to tell people how they got there (and “how you can too!”); describe all of the beautiful, wonderful details of their insights and glowing meditations. In this, of course, the WTF’s are edited out. In fact, often, the whole process is edited to show only the stuff that is in the appropriate light.
But to me, showing the process is what is so necessary, and what is so lacking in a lot of spiritual teaching. When I meet someone who “has” something that I want to learn, I want to know how they got it. What did that person go through? What if I feel >this or that way<? How did that person handle it? Do other people feel lonely and lost? (Yes!) What do they do? (Do other people get mad at God? (Yes!) What do they do? What do people do when it seems like they are running in circles? Etc., you get the idea.
The point is…we are all in this in some way. Maybe my transparency will help you work through your own Journey. I dedicate this moment, this day, this thought to your conscious evolution for the benefit of All. We only reach enlightenment together; we reach enlightenment only together.
Oh, and my story of the movement of consciousness? It’s coming together, in amazing ways, actually. After 30 days of messy, erratic, chaotic, confusing…doubt, uncertainty, vulnerability, and WTF’s, the pieces are writing themselves into an ending that is letting me know…I’ve transformed. I haven’t arrived, but I’m changed.
I have a book called “The Gnostic Crucifixion” (by George Robert Stowe Mead; a Public Domain book), which I opened randomly yesterday and found this passage:
“It is [the hidden Divinity] within which returns, and so causes them to turn or repent. It is obedient, that is—audient, to the Voice of the Self…He who not only hears, but hearkens to, or obeys, the sweet counsels…becomes this Upper Nature consciously; and therefore it no longer is what it was, for it is conscious within man, and so the man is above men of the lower nature.
These mysterious sentences all set forth the state of true Self-consciousness. So long as man is not conscious that he is Divine, so long is the Divine in him not what it really is; the “lower” “limits” the “higher”. Union is attained by “hearkening,” by “attention”. Then it is that the man becomes his Higher Self and that Higher Self becomes in its turn the Self, having taken his self in separation into his Self as union.” (p. 34-35)
First, a disclaimer: I have not really studied Gnosticism. I do not know the work of G.B.S. Mead, so I do not know the context or inter-relatedness of his thoughts regarding the above passage. That said, I do not know the value of his entire body of work (which seems significant), but I did find value in the passage.
I was talking to an M.D. recently who had just gotten back from a conference on pain management. He said, “I knew and understood everything the presenters were talking about, but sometimes it’s just good to hear it in someone else’s words.” That is kind of how I feel about the above passage—and I find it interesting that I found it at the end of yesterday. It’s really a great segue from my sharing yesterday about cooperating with the Laws and Statutes and today’s Guiding thought about knowing my Self as Divine Love. In fact, in my opinion, it is the perfect bridge between yesterday’s thoughts and today.
Here, I’ll break it down for you:
- “It is [the hidden Divinity] within which returns, and so causes them to turn or repent.” (From G.B.S. Mead)
- “In Divine Mind, I am already filled full! In my mind I see mere shadows, slight glimpses of true fullness.” (From A Journey of Fulfillment, day 35)
These sentences are both saying very similar things. They both acknowledge the Divinity within, while also acknowledging that there is “something in the way.” In the first, there is something in need of repentance, in the second, there are “shadows” and glimpses. Repentance is the feeling (of being sorry) that induces penitence: change. In this case, the change is one from lower consciousness to higher consciousness.
- “It is obedient, that is—audient, to the Voice of the Self…He who not only hears, but hearkens to, or obeys, the sweet counsels…becomes this Upper Nature consciously.” (From G.B.S. Mead)
- ‘“I” need to cooperate with my Self, because my Self Knows. My Self wants me to fulfill my purpose and release my joy, but… I have to cooperate to allow that to happen. My Self can’t do it without me. It wants what I want. I have to actively say “yes”’. (From A Journey of Fulfillment, day 34)
Does this need explanation? Using different words, we say similar things; that people must not only hear “the voice”, but do the actions that lead to fulfillment. We must cooperate with our own higher intelligence. What I like about how G.B.S. Mead says it is his use of the words, “sweet counsels”—that really hits home (without being blatant) that the counsels of Divine Mind are truly aiming us toward that which is joyful, fulfilling, loving…sweet.
- “And therefore it no longer is what it was, for it is conscious within man…These mysterious sentences all set forth the state of true Self-consciousness. So long as man is not conscious that he is Divine, so long is the Divine in him not what it really is; the “lower” “limits” the “higher”. (From G.B.S. Mead, italics added)
- “In this expansion, I experience uniting with All, joining with all in the experience of Oneness. I have relinquished the idea of limiting my mind; I have let go of the idea of separation; I am Whole, because I am One with everything.” (From A Journey of Fulfillment, day 30)
- “Knowing myself as One invites the feeling that made this possible; I welcome love in my experience. This is fulfillment. Here is peace.” (From A Journey of Fulfillment, day 30)
- “Why would I limit my identity to something other than this? Why would I limit my Self? In these sensations of boundlessness, I gain more of my sense of Self. I release more barriers to my Self. I perceive myself, and my body, as beyond the physical. My awareness expands.” (From A Journey of Fulfillment, day 30)
Day 30 seemed to be a day of acknowledging the bounds I place on myself, and of really breaking through those to become One with a new state of Self-consciousness.
- “Union is attained by “hearkening,” by “attention”. Then it is that the man becomes his Higher Self and that Higher Self becomes in its turn the Self, having taken his self in separation into his Self as union.” (From G.B.S. Mead, italics added)
- “I want my entire consciousness to Know the Truth of being Fulfilled, of being whole, and therefore encounter every experience or person from an internal knowingness of my own (and everyone’s) total-perfect-completion.” (From Why a Journey of Fulfillment)
- “The theory lies in the words, “we are One”. The reality lies in its practice. The guiding thought today tells us how to live the practice, enacting Oneness.” (From A Journey of Fulfillment, day 29)
One main aspect of these Journeys is to give “attention” to a particular thought or idea—in this case, fulfillment. In giving attention to this aspect, of yourself, which is of your Divine Self, it brings that aspect more into your awareness; you begin to “see” it in your experience of Life. You bring more and more of your True Self, your Divine Self, the Self of you that Knows Oneness and Knows its Fulfillment into every aspect of your experience, you live as the Divine Self you are.